Welcome to Year 1!
Class 1AJ Spiders Class 1KH Dragonflies
Miss Jones Mrs Harman
- Our PE days are Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- 1KH library day is Wednesday.
- 1AJ library day is Monday.
Please ensure that you are reading with your child each night. This will ensure that they make progress within our Great Ravenswood Readers and earn a trip to WHSmiths at the end of the term.
Spelling homework should now be completed in the small blue books. Children should look, cover, write and check their words several times and then have a go at writing 5 words in a sentence.
Maths homework should be completed in the yellow books.
Please make sure both homework books are back in school on Wednesdays.
Children are expected to be able to read and write the following common exception words by the end of Year 1.
Our topic this term is:
From A to B
Children will be learning the following:
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
- How we travel to school
- How to make maps to record our journey to school
- How to create our own train journey around the host country
- How we can travel to different countries
- How to create our own activity holiday
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About transport in the past
- How to make a timeline to show when different types of transport were invented
- About exploring different types of transport from myths and legends
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
- How to create our own futurist painting to capture the speed and movement of transport
- How to create a boat collage in the style of Turner and Monet
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
- How to make our own sail boats and aeroplanes
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
- How to make a ‘vehicle’ to transport a small toy from one place to another
- How to make plans for vehicles
- How to test our vehicles to see how well they work
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
- About the sounds different types of transport make
- How to create our own ‘sound journey’
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
- How to cross roads safely
- About bicycle and road safety
- About people with restricted mobility
In ICT & Computing, we’ll be finding out:
- How to create a simple algorithm
- How to program Bee-bots to follow precise instructions
- About multi-player online gaming and how to stay safe online
Below are the links to our medium term plan for this topic and our long term plan for the year.