Art and Design
Please click here to read our Art policy.
Welcome to Art at Ravenswood!
We take pride in the way the curriculum is covered at Ravenswood and try to ensure that we provide exciting topics for the children to learn all of the different subjects through.
In our Nursery and Reception years, the children spend a great deal of time experimenting with different media, creating pictures, models and other pieces through the Expressive Arts and Design area of the Early Years curriculum. When children reach Year 1, they start to follow the National Curriculum and there are certain key skills that they need to learn.
Through art, our children learn about visual and tactile expression and communication. The main areas we cover are:
- Expressing ideas, emotions, observations and experiences in images,
- Developing creativity and imagination,
- Using colour, form, texture and patterns,
- Using materials and processes,
- Understanding, appreciating, respecting and enjoying other people’s visual expressions,
- The work of artists, craftspeople and designers from a range of different and similar cultures,
- Functions of the visual arts in people’s lives now and in the past.
In addition to the characteristics of learning that are embedded throughout our school, learning and environment there are is specific knowledge, key skills and understanding of the concepts which our children gain through their study. These can be summarised as the main areas:
By the end of Year 1 and 2, most children should:
By the end of Year 3 and 4, most children should:
By the end of Year 5 and 6, most children should: